Monday, July 6, 2009

The Real Origins of Dr. Pepper's 23 Flavors

The wife and I are big fans of Dr. Pepper. However, our 15-year-old son would rather drink Gatorade or Red Bull (no, we don't keep them on hand for him) and has never cared much for soft drinks other than any type of Mountain Dew. By the way, it seems like they come out with a new flavor of Mt. Dew nearly every week and then immediately discontinue it.

Anyway, he hates Dr. Pepper so much that the other day he shared with me his own interpretation of the origins of the soft drink that currently brags of having 23 flavors...

It was, like, one day some people threw together 23 random flavors and there was one guy who tasted it and said, "Hey, this tastes...ok," so they made it a drink, but everyone else totally hated it.
And there you have it. If you're interested in more stories from my teenage boy, try these links from back when he was just 13:
Is it true what they say about Dr. Pepper? You either love it or hate it--there's no in between? Have any of you had the pleasure of drinking Dublin Dr. Pepper? If not, you should stop into the Dublin, Texas plant sometime when you're in the area or order a case online.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought there was only one flavor..."Dr. Pepper." What have I been missing all of these years? I feel cheated.

Debby J said...

Dr Pepper is my drink of choice and I have had the original Dublin Dr Pepper. Whenever we're at TX Motor Speedway we always try to eat at Babe's in Roanoke (just a few miles from the track). There's a little shop across the street from Babe's where you can buy Dublin Dr Pepper.

Dorci said...

I'm in between. I like it sometimes, when I'm in the mood. My 20 year old adores it. He likes Amp, too, though. My 17 year old's favorite is Punch Rockstar. But they don't have them all the time, either. I don't which all that sugar and acid corrodes faster, your teeth or your stomach.

Randy Spradlin said...

I've always been a fan of Dr. Pepper. The only downside is when they changed from regular sugar to the fructose corn syrup. We've discussed this before: But in Dublin Texas, outside of Dallas you can still get the original formula! When I visited a friend there, his wife worked for 7Up/Dr. Pepper. They had their garage filled with the original formula! In bottles! It took me back to a really good time in my life.

Even Tim McGraw in one of his songs says, "Don't you miss the fizz in a Pepper at 10, 2 and 4?"

Be well Roger.

Steve Martin said...

I think you have the makings here for a in-depth documentary (high def, of course) on the merits (or not) of Dr. Pepper.

You could travel the world, ask people their opinions, and write off the whole thing.

You might even be able to get a govt, grant to subsidize the whole trip.

BTW...it's growing on me.

Jedijson said...

My wife LOVES it. I rarely drink it, but it's not the worst thing in the world to drink...like Red Bull. That stuff is NASTY.

Dublin Dr Pepper is pretty good. Better than regular Dr P, and a thousand times better than Mr Pibb.

Jedijson said...

Oh, and, I didn't mean to cause any offense when I said Red Bull is nasty. I'm just one of those strange people who believe that anything that tastes like it will cause hair to grow on your tongue shouldn't be poured down your throat. Ever.

Uvulapie said...

Years ago I ordered some Dublin (I thought it was Waco? Did they change the town name because of that Clinton incident?) Dr. Pepper for myself and my brother Joel. SEHR GUT! I still have one bottle left, hoarding it for some special occassion, such as me learning to spell "ocasion".

K.I. said...

I like Dr. Pepper. When I was little my mom said I wouldn't like it and I thought it probably tasted like pepper, but I decided to try it anyway just to prove her wrong. I was scared it would taste like pepper, maybe spicy and that it would burn like hot sauce or something. I was just a kid so what did I know? But it wasn't peppery and I liked it and I proved her wrong. So it was all good.

Anonymous said...

CATS!