Friday, July 3, 2009

The Classic Tale of Thumbelina...sort of

Last night we watched a movie adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's Thumbelina. It's a fairy tale about a tiny little girl who feels out of place in...Wait, did I mention that this was the Barbie Presents Thumbalina version of the tale.

I think we have all of the Barbie movies now since I have a ten year old girly girl in the house. Most of the movies are ok and even mildly entertaining. We take this kind of computer generated animation for granted today. Remember when Pixar's Toy Story came out and we were all mezmerized?

So, where was I? Oh, I was talking about the message off Barbie Presents Thumbelina. I may have missed some of the key scenes as I was plugging away at the computer while the DVD was playing in the living room, but I'm quite certain that one of the themes was that FACTORIES ARE BAD! I tried to explain to my daughter the irony of situation since we were watching the movie on a television that was made in a factory. I think it went right over her head, but she thought the dresses were pretty.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Aren't Barbies produced in factories as well?
Evil Barbie factories!

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

Barbies grow on trees and they gently fall on the ground when they are ready to be played with. You don't pick them or cut them down. That would be wrong. I wonder what kind of insecticide you spray on a Barbie tree to keep the bugs off?

Dorci said...

LOL. Whatever the name of the insecticide, it must be scented in vanilla.

(There's nothing like the smell of new barbies, btw. It's the girl's equivalent of new car smell.)

Uvulapie said...

Indoctrination in kids movies is a great thing. At my house we like to end the day cuddled up on the couch reading our favorite passages from "Industrial Society and it's Future."