Saturday, July 18, 2009

Interviewing Techniques

Ok, this is going to be a bit of a personal rant, but it's my blog so I can do whatever I want. Don't forget that I coined the phrase, "Meow Meow Butterpants" right here. America, you can thank me later.

So, here's that rant. I hate it when television and radio personalities interview people (e.g. at the conclusion of a sporting event) and proceed to ask questions without actually asking questions--and then they put the microphone in front of the guy/girl's face. I suppose it's just a pet peeve on my part because everyone gets what it is that's happening, but here's an example from Indycar.com that is inexcusable because it's in writing (click on it for a full view)...


It's one thing to not ask a question with a microphone and then put a microphone in front of someone's face, but I'm quite certain that the "Q" stands for "question" in this case.

Rant is over. I need to take some medication or find other things to get worked up over. Sorry. Now go take on your day.

I'm Ron Burgundy?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love it if just one time someone would answer an interviewer's command by saying "no."

Reporter: Talk about facing the last batter in the ninth.

Pitcher: No.

When did the command "talk about..." become an acceptable interview technique? Are our newsies so lazy (and impolite) that they cannot be bothered to think up a question?

Anonymous said...

I dunno, it's less of an interview and more of a, what's it called? Oh yeah, a *conversation*. Nothing wrong with it, in my opinion.

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

Dear Anonymous:

Here's the source of the image I used for this post:

http://www.indycar.com/news/index.php?story_id=14610

The name of the page is "Al Unser Interview Transcript."

Just thought I'd point that out. No, there's nothing wrong with it. It's just another example of laziness and a lack of respect for a highly expressive language.

TTFN
LOL

Jedijson said...

Hey, at least you can understand what he's saying. Have you ever listened to a NASCAR interview? You can only understand about every sixth word that's being issued. "Muffle gurgle brraaap snarkle mffffph Coca-Cola phrrreb sssltiw drttth slarg turn three bllargh..."

Meow Meow Butterpants, indeed!

Unknown said...

Ok, I'll admit I still haven't gotten over Phyllis George being allowed in the locker room.

Now talk about the flying comet baseballs on that mid-season ruination called an All-Star Game (which was turned on despite my refusal to partake because that is the only, and I really mean only, ball game my husband wants to see all year).

Please do rant - it makes my own feelings toward all things sport a little more sane.

Randy Spradlin said...

Good points Roger. Now, how about more on Danica Patrick?