Wednesday, July 9, 2008

One THING at a Time

There was an old 70's sitcom called One Day at a Time that I remember very well. I'm not sure why it had an impact on me. Maybe it's because it was based in Indianapolis which was just a few hours down the road from me or maybe I was smitten with Valerie Bertinelli. For that matter, maybe I secretly wanted to be Dwayne Schneider--the wacky building superintendent that spent way too much time in the Romano's apartment. But I've gotten way off subject here--sort of, which is what this whole post is about: FOCUS.

My job has a LOT of responsibility. On top of that, I don't have someone telling me what I'm supposed to be doing most of the time. It's up to me to figure out what's important and how to prioritize everything. When it gets REALLY busy, I tend to look like this...

Life can also get the same way with so many things going on and people (especially a family) depending on you. This is where I need to step back for a second and remember that God really is in control and that I can only do one THING at a time in HIS strength. My experience has been that when I allow myself to be overwhelmed I feel blind and powerless (see the deer above). As a result, I end up doing NOTHING.

Sometimes I wish I didn't have so much to deal with, but I know that I should also feel honored to have been given so much. It's my duty to deal with it.

Yesterday I spewed forth political banter and here I am today sharing some of my deepest thoughts and struggles. What is this blog coming to? Tomorrow I will get back to more serious subjects like Meow Meow Butterpants.

5 comments:

Uvulapie said...

You can't fool us... your readers know that "Meow Meow Butterpants" was a thinly veiled extended metaphor for modern man's struggle with fatherhood.

JAM said...

I get brain lock at work sometimes myself. When the pressure is really on, my instinct is to always find a few minutes alone, and pray. It's the only thing that allows me to continue and be effective. If I try to just bull my way through the problem, I invariably dig myself a deeper hole. A few minutes of giving the problem away to God makes all the difference in the world.

Fortunately I work in a place where I can just go outside, to my car, or just walk around the buildings to decompress.

shay said...

I'm pretty much right there with you!
Most days I'm that deer. Thanks for getting all deep and stuff, I needed the reminder to trust Him in everything:)

Unknown said...

Loved the deer in the headlights. Oh, and I think you're doing a pretty good job.

Mr. E said...

This job I have applied for will have me in a position that allows me to set my own schedule, with a few exceptions; therefore, it will be up to me determine what has to be done first and so forth. I am praying all my Army training comes back to me. I used be very good at things like this, I know I can be again if given the chance. Dont' shoot me if I get the "deer" look, just turn off the lights and let me wander away.