Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Great T-Shirt Streak of 2007

This is MY side of the story. You can read HER side here.

We have friends that sometimes give us tickets to Indianapolis Indians games. This is a AAA minor league baseball team that feeds into the Pittsburgh Pirates. Honestly, I feel bad for the guys who do well here in Indy as it means they may get called up and have to play for the Pirates--but that's another story.

This post is about an amazing streak I have of getting free t-shirts at these games. At just about every game, they do a t-shirt giveaway between innings. While the teams are coming off the field, the announcer comes on the P.A. system to let everyone know that the shirts are going to start flying and immediately people begin screaming as if they didn't actually own clothes. I'm pretty sure they could throw out free hunks of dirt and folks would get just as excited.

Such was the case when we went to a game in late July. I stood up like everyone else and the nice lady who handles all of the Indians between inning activities sort of glanced my way and tossed me a shirt as if to say, "That poor fella needs new clothes." It was obviously a leftover shirt from some walk-a-thon or something as it had nothing to do with the baseball team and they didn't mention it when they were throwing them out. But I think it was the first time that I've ever gotten a free shirt, so it sort of made my day.

A month later we returned for another game with some friends and...you guessed it...another t-shirt. This time it was an actual Indianapolis Indians shirt with the logo on the front and the 2007 schedule on the back. Very cool. The same lady looked at me and threw it directly my way. Was this odd? Read on.

So, we managed to go to the second-to-last home game with more friends. I made a joke to them that I had a streak going of two games in a row with free t-shirts. Seconds later (I'm not exaggerating) the t-shirt giveaway starts up again. I stand up, almost reluctantly as my wife and friends stare at me. Immediately, she walks out onto the field with shirts in hand and looks my way. The next thing I know, I'm holding a spiffy Chipotle shirt in my hands.

Did I mention that every shirt was just my size? Should I send her a Christmas card? Do the wife and I require some sort of counseling?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Should I be worried that she winked at you as she threw the shirt? Wait, do I know you?

Julia Phillips Smith said...

"...immediately people begin screaming as if they didn't actually own clothes. I'm pretty sure they could throw out free hunks of dirt and folks would get just as excited."

LOL!! Job well done on the shirt haul, by the way.

Anonymous said...

I know, I know. Get your hands on a few velvet Elvis rugs (I can let you make a copy of my Elvis cloud if you need it), then sell tees and rugs right out of the back of your van. It worked for me when I sold crocheted bookworms out of a shoebox.
Blessings,
~Toni~